Children and Sleep
- Gradually decrease bedtime. Try reducing your child’s bedtime by 15 minutes every few days. This will make the transition much smoother.
- Do not allow electronic use at least 1 hour before bed. This time should be reserved for family or other quiet activities such as reading or showering.
- Keep lights low before bed. Light is one of most powerful signals that stimulates wakefulness and by keeping lights low you can induce sleep.
- Encourage physical activity. It is important for our children to have exercise, as it not only promotes health but makes them fall asleep easier. It is recommended that physical activity be done 2-3 hours before bed.
- Reduce caffeine intake. Do not allow children to consumer any caffeine after lunch, as this will reduce the likelihood of insomnia.